Obermatt stock portfolio
We do not only recommend stocks, we also buy them!
Obermatt CEO Dr. Hermann J. Stern is saving for his retirement by investing in stocks, which he found in the Obermatt Top 10 stock lists. You can track his stock purchases on YouTube every week. 100,000 francs are invested in 20 companies per investment season. The latest balance sheet of stock purchases can be found here:
Obermatt's investment principles for successful stock investment are simple
For his investments, Stern uses Obermatt's principles as described in the Obermatt Investing Handbook:
- Buy shares on a regular basis, invest only 5% of the total value per purchase, i.e. for a total portfolio value of CHF 100,000 invest CHF 5,000 per share. By the end of the season Stern shares in 20 companies.
- Distribute the investment across different regions and sectors to minimize the risk.
- Primarily buy shares of large scale companies, because many of these companies’ executives make sure that the company is successful.
You can do it yourself!
To help you learn how to build your own portfolio, we will show you all the decisions we’ve made on YouTube and provide you with the bank statements:
What you need to do to build your own stock portfolio
- Open an account at a discount brokerage and transfer your money. Brokerage comparison: Switzerland, Germany, UK, USA.
- Subscribe to our free Obermatt Stock Update and read the Obermatt Investing Handbook for more guidance information on successful stock investing
- You will receive weekly Top 10 Stocks with your Obermatt Stock Update, if they have been published for a market you selected. You can study the stock more closely at Obermatt, and you may google for further information and visit the company’s website before you buy through your discount broker.
- To search for stocks or to sort stocks according to different criteria, use the Obermatt database that premium customers receive weekly with the Obermatt Stock Update email as CSV file. You can open the file with Google Sheets, Numbers, LibreOffice or Excel.* The Obermatt database file contains all information that Obermatt calculates.
- Maintain and track your stock portfolio. The easiest way is to enter all of your stocks into a Google Sheet and input the Obermatt database. Now you will have and know the most recent rankings of your stocks. In order to decide whether to buy or sell a stock, you can easily set up investment parameters or price thresholds.
*: For Excel, use "file", "import", "CSV file", "Unicode (UTF-8)".
How good were the Obermatt Top 10 Lists in the past?
Each year we compare the Obermatt Top 10 stock returns with their stock indexes. Until now the Obermatt Top 10 lists outperformed the respective stock indexes the majority of the time:
How good are Obermatt Top 30 stocks?
Ten stocks are too few for a broad-based portfolio (diversification). For this reason, we have examined how the best thirty stocks have performed for eighteen markets since the publication of the Obermatt ranks in 2014.
When measured over four years and eighteen markets, the best 30 stocks according to the Obermatt method have a higher return of between 4.4% and 6.0% per year compared to the corresponding benchmark indices. More importantly, the Obermatt Top 30 were better than the index in 72% to 79% of all cases. In almost four out of five years, the Obermatt ranks are better than using an index fund. The whole report is available online as a PDF, all data can be obtained as a spreadsheet from Obermatt upon request.